Thursday, November 14, 2013

Baking!

Nothing spells out weekend like warm biscuits and gravy for breakfast. I sort of feel constrained when I bake because I have to follow the recipe and  measure out the ingredients precisely to pull something edible out of the oven. I love biscuits and for the longest time I procrastinated making them, because I didn't think I could pull off all the precises measurements, mixing and kneading the dough.

However, the little guy insisted on having biscuits for breakfast and he wanted to bake them at home. I resorted to my best friend Mr. Google for answers and decided on a relatively easy recipe.

Started with -

2 and 1/2 cups of all purpose flour

1/2 cup of cold butter cut in to small pieces (Keeping the butter cold is key for flaky biscuits)

1 tsp salt

1 tsp baking powder

3/4 cup Milk

1 egg


Take a large dry bowl and mix the flour, salt and baking powder.

Add the butter and mix it with the best kitchen tools ever - your hands.

Mix the flour and butter until the butter is broken down in to small crumbs.

Then add the milk and egg and mix with a spatula. At this step if the mixture is little runny go ahead and add more flour.

Try not to mix it the dough too much.

Set it on a lightly dusted counter top and knead it until you get the desired shape and consistency - this step kind of depends on your instincts.

I didn't have a proper biscuit cutting device, so I used a plastic cup.

I got around 6 - 7 biscuits about  1/2 inch thick.

Bake them at 375 degrees for 15 minutes, again this time may vary depending on the oven.

Eat them straight out of the oven!

You can add little butter or Jelly or have them just plain.