Thursday, November 7, 2013

Quirky Quinoa Patties

I heard a lot about Quinoa. Never tasted it or cooked with it.  Pictures of interesting Quinoa dishes on the internet intrigued me. Finally one day  I decided to  put an end to my curiosity and randomly picked up a pack of Quinoa and decided to cook it. Now, in all the pictures that I have seen  on the cyberspace the Quinoa looked white.  I cooked, boiled and pressure cooked the Quinoa I had and it still looked red. 

Finally I resorted to  my very trustworthy "Google" only to realize there is white and red Quinoa and the one I had was red and it’s supposed to look red. By now the Quinoa was cooked into a fine messy paste. I had to come up with something to add to the paste and that's how the Quinoa patties were born. 
 Cooked Quinoa

Here is the recipe:

1/2 cup of Quinoa - cooked the usual way (it doesn't have to be the messy paste I ended up with)

 Heat about 1 1/2 cups of water and when it comes to boil add the Quinoa and let it cook for  around 20 minutes or so.)

1 cup peeled and boiled potatoes

1/2 cup of boiled peas

Pinch of Red chili flakes (more if you like spicy patties)

1/2 tsp freshly ground Black pepper 

1/2 tsp. Cumin powder 

1/2 tsp Crushed  Mint flakes 

1 Egg beaten

1 tsp Bread crumbs

Salt

You can add a tsp of all-purpose flour or chickpea flour if the consistency is not right to make patties.


Mix all the ingredients in a bowl. Add the bread crumbs towards the end (they add some texture and crispness to the patties).


Heat oil in a pan (enough to shallow fry) and make patties. To make the patties, I added a spoonful of the mixture to the oil and pressed it down with a spatula. They may be a bit geometrically challenged, but they will resemble a patty.


Depending on the size of the pan, you can fry 3-4 patties at a time.


Flip them over after 1 or 2 minutes and you will know they are done once they turn brown and crispy.



Hope you enjoy them.

sending this to Fab Fast Food challenge at  Family foodies at  bangermashchat.