Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Lemon Rice

As infants we all learn to sit, stand, walk, talk and may be even to taste. There is a whole new scientific perspective on taste and how the taste buds are wired differently which makes some of us picky eaters and others universal omnivores. Then, there is the whole new concept of acquired taste. Never understood it until I crossed oceans and moved countries. You can train your taste buds to enjoy a certain cuisine or dish. The dish in question is called  "lemon rice".  Its a  popular  south Indian dish. Its one of those dishes that I don't care for. I don't hate  it but I cant say I love it either.  Fast forward to the present, the men in my life adore this dish. They even crave for it and I ended up acquiring a taste for  the dish and enjoying it myself. 


























There are many variations on how you can make this dish, what you add in it and all sorts of other
details.I had to make this recipe exciting for me. So, I decided to simplify it. The key ingredient here is the lemon. If you like lemony taste, you will love this dish. 


Keeping things simple, start with 

Juice of 2 lemons

Mix the lemon juice in about 1 and 1/2 cups of cooked rice. 

Add salt to the lemon juice and rice mixture. 

Leave it alone for 20 minutes. 

Heat about 2 tsp of oil in a pan and add cumin seeds, mustard seeds chana dal, 1 tsp of turmeric (This gives the dish its distinct yellow color and lots of flavor) and one or two sliced green chilies.

Let them all get happy in the oil and then add the lemon juice rice mixture and stir them all together. 

Its done. Give it a try- life and lemons are full of surprises.






sending this to Black and White Wednesday at lemoninginger/cindystarblog./thewellseasonedcook.