Thursday, April 24, 2014

Burritos with Cumin and Eggs


I often come across phrases like-authentic Mexican food, Indian food or Chinese food. What do we mean by authenticity. My best friend is from Mexico and she swears the burritos we get here are no where identical to the real ones in Mexico. The same can be said about the Chinese food or even the Indian food. Tweaking the dish or its taste to please a crowd is not a bad thing. In fact I see it as a fusion of culinary cultures. Authenticity may be a good thing, but once in a while you can go on a tangent and make something fun and quirky. 

We were all in a mood for burritos. I had some eggs and whole wheat tortillas. How hard can it be to make up your own burrito I thought and I let my imagination run wild. I love to cook this way when I have no recipe or ingredients to follow. Just my own  naive culinary cacophonous thoughts.




1 medium onion - finely chopped

1 tomato- finely chopped

1 cup of vegetables - I added carrots and mushrooms

4 eggs

1 tsp cumin and chana dal

1 tsp black pepper

1 tsp cumin powder

1 tsp coriander powder

1 tsp chili powder

salt


Heat about a tsp of olive oil in a pan and add the cumin and chana dal.

Once they are roasted add the onions, tomatoes and cook them for a minute.

Add the vegetables, black pepper, cumin, coriander and chili powder.

Once the vegetables soften add the eggs, mix them and let them cook.

Once the eggs are done season with salt and set it aside.

Fry the tortilla in a pan with little olive oil.

Scoop the egg mixture inside the tortilla, roll it and cut in half.

An awesome burrito is ready to be devoured.




What if we break a few barriers and create an awesome dish.This may not be an authentic burrito, but it sure is filled with flavors of diversity and love.











Linking to Family Foodies at Bangers and Mash and Eat your Veg  for this Month's family Foodies challenge - Cheap and Cheerful.