Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Hidden Surprises - Cauliflower Stems with Potatoes



As parents we are constantly engrossed in teaching our kids about life, values, discipline and a plethora of other mundane things. In the process we tend to forget the fact that kids teach us some of the most profound, deepest greatest lessons of life, just by being kids. I was having one of those days where all the planets in the universe were perfectly aligned to make everything go wrong for me. He runs to me with some cups that I had thrown away and says he wants to make robots. My immediate reaction was something on the lines of don't make a mess and don't break anything or spill anything- Not a proud Mama moment. He worked long and hard and came up with something very cute and then he said it - Think before you throw something, you never know what you can come up with. 






In case you are wondering what my rant has got to do with cooking, bear with me I will start making sense in just a second. The vegetable in question namely Cauliflower is well appreciated in the culinary world. However, the stem that holds this wonderful vegetable is sorely neglected. I usually tend to discard all the stems and stalks. After all the wisdom instilled in me by the little one, I wanted to do something with the cauliflower stems and decided to pressure cook them with lentils. It ended up being very bitter. I was not going to give up that easy. I  tried once again and this time I peeled the outer layers of the stem and steamed them. I paired them with some potatoes and it ended up being totally awesome. 



Peeled Cauliflower stems


















About one and a half cups  of cauliflower stems, peeled and steamed. I steamed them for about 25 minutes.

1 tsp chana dal 

1 tsp mustard seeds

1 cup of boiled and peeled potatoes

1 medium onion finely chopped

1 tsp Red curry powder - If you cant find this, you can add chili powder

1 tsp black pepper powder

salt


Steam and cut the stems in to small pieces.

Boil and cut the potatoes in to bite size pieces.

Add  a tsp of olive oil to the pan.

Fry the chana dal and mustard seeds.

Add the onions, the stems and potatoes.

Let them fry for a minute or two.

Add the spices and salt and little water about 1/2 a cup  and let them cook for 10 minutes.

Give it a try, you never know what is hidden in a stem.





linked to sliceoffme. and .citrusspiceuk. at the in-my-veg-box-cauliflowers challenge