Sunday, February 23, 2014

Mini Egg Muffins filled with Quinoa,Tater tots and Empathy



I came across an article about teaching empathy to kids. I never thought you can actually teach a child how to be empathetic. I felt it was something you develop during the course of your life and it depends on the type of experiences or people you come across.

This article talks about ways you can instill the qualities of empathy in your child. I found the concept of hot/cold empathy gap very interesting. Simply put when you are happy or comfortable you find it hard to understand or relate to feelings like pain or failure.























Just when I was loading myself with all the Google wisdom, the little guy went ahead and said something that made me realize, children are like little emotional sponges and they soak in a lot more than we give them credit for.  I came up with idea of making mini egg muffins with Quinoa, potato tater tots and mushrooms. He looks at me and says are you about this. I said I don't know I never made it before, I am going to try. He says “OK Mama if that’s what you want I will pray to all the cooking gods that your dish works out because I don’t want to see you unhappy and I will eat them no matter how they taste”.  That’s a little bit of empathy I like to dwell on.



















Coming to the dish in question, it’s a very simple  recipe and is done in under 30 minutes.

1 cup of cooked Quinoa – I used the red kind
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp black pepper
5 eggs
1 cup of potato tater tots – I microwaved the tater tots for a minute or 2  to thaw them
1 cup of mushrooms
½ cup of green onions
Salt
2 tsp of milk

















Mix all the ingredients in a bowl with a whisk.
Preheat the oven to 360.
I used a mini muffin tin to bake and greased it with little bit of olive oil. 
Pour the mixture in to the  greased muffin tin's.
Bake at 360 for 10 – 15 minutes. Depending on the oven, this time may vary.

They are done and the little guy devoured them with lots of love.