Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Turning Mistakes into Masterpieces


We were making a painting.  He wanted to paint a fish in the sea and I was trying to help him. My idea of help was to make sure he doesn't spill the paint, closes the paint bottle after he uses it, you get the drift. After a while, he suggests we mix all the colors and see what happens. I was trying too hard to make the whole painting experience perfect and mixing all the colors seemed messy and not perfect. When I mentioned this to him he said " who says art has to be perfect"? All the parenting guilt in the universe slammed on me making me think I am curbing his creativity. I agreed to do what ever he wants. We went ahead and mixed all the colors and started doing random things. Finally we ended up with a pretty decent fish and somewhat artistic under water scene. 






He went on to share his artistic wisdom with me - Art doesn't follow rules, you paint what your heart desires and if you mess up the painting, you can always turn your mistake in to a masterpiece. It reminded me of a dish I made once. I was cooking pasta and left it to boil on the stove top and completely forgot about it. The pasta was cooked al dente and beyond. I was planing on a cheesy pasta dish and the over cooked pasta I had was not going to be cheesed any further. I had to salvage it and decided to turn it in to something exquisite to hide the imperfections as in over cooked almost baby food like consistency.








This is what I came up with -

1 small pack of pasta - save about 1/2 cup of pasta water to add to the sauce. This keeps the pasta moist.

1 cup of spinach

1/2 cup of tomato sauce - I used the Bertolli sauce

2 cloves of garlic

1 tsp chili powder

1 tsp black pepper

salt

My exquisite ingredient -  left over grilled Salmon.


Add a tsp of olive oil in a pan and fry the garlic and spinach.

Add the tomato sauce and the chili and pepper powder

once the sauce thickens  after about a minute or so add the pasta along with the pasta water and salt.

Let it cook for minute and its done.

I served it with grilled salmon and no one noticed the over cooked pasta.

I leave you with some food for thought - Turn your mistakes in to masterpieces and everything will be just fine.

Linked to wonderfully-creative Wednesday/Food of the world - Italy/No waste food challenge/elizabethskitchendiary/London unattached and domesblissity at Thriving on Thursday/utterlyscrummy/tinnedtomatoes