Sunday, March 2, 2014

Coy Carrots and Opulent Oranges


I love challenges and when I saw the love cake challenge at Jibberjabber I got very excited. The challenge was to bake a cake without one of the four main ingredients-Flour,sugar,eggs or butter.I shared my excitement with the little guy. He jumped right in and suggested I challenge myself and try something I never did before. I was a bit hesitant and told him, what if its a baking disaster. He looks at me, rolls his eyes and says "remember how you always push me to do my best, do your best. I want you to bake something different. I believe you can". I guess unspoken expectations are a huge part of this mother-son relationship. 


I remember coming across a cake recipe with orange juice. I wanted to combine orange juice,carrots and olive oil (instead of butter) for my cake.





I started with

1 cup of  fresh grated carrots
1/2 cup of orange juice
1 cup of flour
1/2 cup of sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup of olive oil
1 tsp vanilla





Beat the egg and sugar with a whisk or a blender until the mixture is creamy.

Add orange juice and whisk for another 30- 40 seconds.

Add the grated carrots and blend for a minute or so.

Add the flour slowly while mixing.

Add the olive oil and vanilla.  Blend the batter until its smooth.

Preheat the oven to 360 degrees Fahrenheit.

I greased the cake pan with a tsp of olive oil.

Add the batter to the greased cake tin and bake for 30 - 35 minutes at 360 degrees Fahrenheit.
.
Let it cool completely and dig in.

The cake was moist and perfect with a cup of hot chocolate. The coyness of the carrots complements the opulence of the oranges amazingly well and the olive oil mingles beautifully with the citrusy flavor of the orange juice.

The little guy was proud of his mama and the cake.






Recipe linked to








Bake fest at Versatile recipes











cookingonthefrontburners











Metamorphosis Monday