Sunday, March 9, 2014

Quinoa Lentil Fritters with an opinion

Opinions are a vital part of life. We all have them whether we really need to have one or not is irrelevant. Sometimes I wonder why I even bother to have an opinion on something that has nothing to do with my perfectly normal idiosyncratic life. I have an opinion on the bird sitting on my car. I wonder why it chose my car, I bet he/she is upset about something and thus starts a series of completely irrelevant opinions on the bird and his/her life.
URAD DAL - THE LENTIL 






On a serious note, every one is entitled to an opinion. I try to respect that and leave it at that. Coming back to my own perfectly reasonable opinions (birds aside), I always thought that vada which is a type of fritter made with a lentil known as urad dal was too bland and boring. I was so opinionated towards its taste, texture and everything else to do with it that I never even attempted to cook with it.


My lovely husband went grocery shopping and returned with a bag of ural dal. I tired to find other uses for it, but was not successful. One day when I was driving, I saw my avian friend pecking on some seeds on the side walk, a very poignant thought occurred to me. What if I combine the urad dal with a grain I absolutely adore - the Quinoa

Here is yet another successful serendipitous sensation from my kitchen - This yields about 3 servings

1 cup of urad dal

soak the urad dal in 2 cups of water for at least 2-4 hours. Over night is even better. 

1/2 cup of cooked Quinoa

salt 

1 tsp black pepper 

1/2 tsp chili flakes





Drain all the water from the urad dal and puree it in a blender. It is imperative to not add water and make this soupy or watery.

Add the quinoa, salt, pepper and chili flakes.

Heat enough oil in a pan to shallow fry.

Once the oil is hot, add spoonfuls of the batter and let them fry on each side for a minute or two.

Once they are golden brown, remove them from the pan.

I placed them on a kitchen towel to drain the excess oil.





Opinions are bound to change, thanks to my avian instincts I rediscovered  this lentil fritter. Give it a try before you form an opinion. I am sending this recipe to Mimismommy and Bunnyeatsdesign  hosting the Our Growing Edge event which motives you to try something new.













Linked to Munching Mondays/
cookingonthefrontburners/nivedhanams/spicingyourlife/amummytoo./wonderfully-creative-wednesday-






9 comments:

  1. Looks great, can imagine tucking into it with a nice green leaf salad. #RecipeoftheWeek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would go really well in some lettuce wraps.

      Delete
  2. Wow.. these are so yummy. Perfect for a rainy afternoon, with a cup of steaming tea.
    Thanks for your contribution :)
    -Mimi's Mommmy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely new to me. Fritters looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vidhya they are very easy to make and the quinoa adds a subtle taste and texture to the Fritters.

      Delete
  4. Interesting recipe. Sometimes it's good to mix an uncertain ingredient with something you know you love. Kind of like weaning your way into something. Thanks for sharing with Our Growing Edge this month :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right. Hope you give this a try.

      Delete
  5. Popping by again to say how much I love the look of these. I am going to have them for lunch next week for sure with some of the mango chutney I made last week. Thanks so much for linking up with #recipeoftheweek. I've pinned and tweeted this post and hope to see you linking up again soon! :D x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would taste awesome with some Mango chutney or even Mint chutney.

      Delete