Friday, March 28, 2014

Warm and Toasty Mint Rice with Chicken

Every once in a while you come across a book that touches you and reminds you of something very special. The little guy was reading one such book called”Blackberries in the dark". The book talks about how Grandma and Henry find joy during their first summer following Grandpa's death. Although he felt the book was sad, by the time he finished it, he was cognizant of a very profound emotion I had never talked to him about - feeling the loss of a loved one. 

He finished the book, came over to me and said "Mama I don't ever want to miss you, I feel like I am at the bottom of a pit when I miss you".  I assured him he is not going to lose me ever and sent lots of prayers up there.


The whole thing called for something cheerful for us to indulge on. He wanted me to make Mint rice and chicken. This is an all-time favorite with the little guy and he said that's exactly what he needs to feel all warm and toasty on the inside.





Here is the warm and toasty recipe for the Mint rice.

1 cup of uncooked rice, rinsed and drained.

2 cups of fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped. This can also be substituted with 3 tsp of dried mint leaves.

1 cup of finely chopped green onions

2 cloves of garlic

1 tsp chopped ginger

1 tsp green curry paste

1 tsp turmeric powder

1 tsp of cumin seeds

1 tsp black pepper

salt

1 cup coconut milk

1 cup water 


Heat a pan with 2 tsp of olive oil.

Add the cumin seeds, ginger and garlic. Let them fry for 30 seconds or so.

Add the onions, turmeric powder and green curry paste. Fry them for another minute.

Add the chopped mint leaves and black pepper powder. Fry them for about a minute and then add the drained rice.

Add the cup of coconut milk, cup of water and salt.

Let it cook for 10-15 minutes. Turn off the heat and let it sit for 5 minutes before serving.

I served this with a simple chicken fry. While the rice was cooking, I fried thinly sliced boneless, skinless chicken tenders with some onions, a tsp of chili powder, turmeric, salt and black pepper.




He made that little clay pot with berries for me. He devoured the rice and we all were cozy, warm and toasty at the end of it. Life is uncertain, but it never hurts to hold on to the warmth of our loved ones for as long as you can.

Sending the recipe to Speedy Suppers at feedingboys. and maisoncupcake