Friday, April 25, 2014

Cardamom Crepes with Sweet potato-Almond Butter Filling

Over the course of this journey called life, we come across different people. Circumstances, fate or maybe even destiny brings us together. I believe there is a reason perhaps determined by the universe for each and every person you come across in your life, regardless of the experience you have with them. There are websites, quizzes, compatibility equations which try to determine whether or not two folks can get along. Having said all this, I believe sometimes its exciting to take a chance and try out new things, meet new people to see what happens. It could be a disaster but unless you try it out there is no way you could figure that out now, can you?


Bringing together two ingredients in the culinary world is equally enticing. It has the potential to make or break the appetite. It's sort of like a culinary catharsis. I have had my share of disasters, but that never deters me from experimenting, mixing and pouring things out in the hopes of creating a culinary masterpiece. 




These crepes are the result of one such mixing expedition. To begin with I have never made crepes before, they are supposed to be really thin and very tricky. I poured through pages and pages of internet intelligence on the topic. Finally decided to scratch every thing away and work with my instincts. I was working on some mundane task around the house, when I had this little thought of cardamom, sweet potatoes and almond butter. I thought why not make cardamom crepes and fill them with sweet potato and almond butter filling. 





To make around 5 - 6 crepes 

1/2 cup all purpose flour 

1/2 cup milk 

2 eggs 

2 tsp cardamom powder 

1 tsp honey 

Blend the ingredients together and it turns in to a smooth batter. 

Heat a pan with about 1/2 tsp of olive oil. 

pour a scoopful of the batter in to the pan and turn it around the pan. Add little oil around the edges, so its easier to flip them over. 




Filling - 

2 small sweet potatoes 

1/4 cup of almond butter.


Peel and slice the sweet potatoes and Roast them in the oven at 360 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 - 20 minutes. 

Add the roasted sweet potatoes and almond butter in a bowl and mix them together with a fork. 





Add a scoopful of filling to the crepes and drizzle some honey on top. I may not have reinvented the wheel with this recipe, but I believe sweet potatoes and almond butter is one culinary merger that can never go wrong. 



Linked to Made with love Mondays at Javelin Warrior's