Sunday, April 27, 2014

Vegan Coconut Milk Ice cream with Strawberries



Having a backup plan or preparing for a worst case scenario used to intimidate me. Motherhood made me realize that life cannot exist without worst case scenarios and backup plans. The little guy created an aura of uncertainty around him, leaving me no choice but to improvise. He made me realize how much I take for granted the life I am blessed with. I have learnt to appreciate simple things in life and be thankful for all the uncertainty and chaos. 




over the years, I learnt to improvise in the kitchen with few hits and misses. Most of the times I improvise because I am not too keen about a certain ingredient and I try to find an alternative. Like millions of others I have a huge crush on ice cream. However, I am not a fan of all the sugar, syrup, and other flavors that go in to them.




I am not equipped with neither the ice cream making skills nor the ice cream maker and never even considered the possibility of making one at home. While I was looking for recipes with coconut milk, I came across several recipes that made ice cream with coconut milk which involved no ice cream maker. It was very intriguing and I had to give it a try.The key ingredients in any ice cream are milk, sugar, cream and other flavors. The cream/milk is replaced by coconut cream/milk. This will give the desired creamy consistency.





1 can of low fat coconut milk

2 cans of regular coconut milk - Refrigerate these 2 cans for about 5 hours. The cream will solidify on the top. This is what makes the ice cream creamy and gives it the right consistency.

1 cup of straw berries

1/2 cup of sugar
1/4 cup of honey

A pinch of saffron




Mix the can of low fat coconut milk with strawberries, sugar and saffron.

Bring the mixture to a boil, until it reduces to about 3/4 its volume. It took around 35 minutes.

Let it cool completely.

Add the coconut cream from the two refrigerated cans of coconut milk, honey and blend the mixture with an immersion blender for about 2 minutes.

Pour the ice cream mixture in a plastic container and freeze for about 6-7 hours.





The ice cream is smooth and creamy, however the only down side of not using an ice cream maker is probably not being able to freeze and thaw the ice cream. It has to be eaten on the same day, which usually is not an issue in my house. Life is neither perfect nor fair. How ever we are immensely blessed to have one, just like this ice cream - albeit its shortcomings its a blissful culinary experience. 


Linking this to 

Sending this to our growing edge event at bunnyeatsdesign hosted by kitcheninspirations. This event inspires food bloggers to come together and try out new things.