Monday, April 7, 2014

Eggless Oatmeal Almond Butter Cookies

My little guy stands in front of the mirror, weaving silly dreams in his head when he is supposed to be brushing his teeth. He sees something special in the most mundane things. Once a pigeon landed next to him in the parking lot and he was ecstatic. He kept saying the pigeon made his day. 

He happened to read a book on Helen Keller. He comes to me and asks"Mama can you think of something worse than being blind and deaf? In my mind not being able to see this beautiful world is probably the worst thing.I believe of all the senses, the sense of sight is most precious and precisely for that reason I chose to be a  research scientist in the vision field. Coming back to the little guy, I told him with a straight face"I don't think anything can be worse than not being able to see and experience this beautiful world". He shakes his head in disbelief and adds,"Mama losing your imagination is worse than being blind and deaf. How can you live with out imagination?"

It took a few minutes for me to take it all in.Sight or no sight you cannot survive without imagination. This is one of those million reasons why I absolutely adore being his mother. 

I felt I needed to indulge in something sweet to celebrate the precious little gift in my life and we decided to bake. we made these egg less Almond butter and oatmeal cookies without any plan or recipe at hand.



1 cup of quick oats - Add 1/2 a cup of water to the oats and microwave for a minute or so. 

1/2 cup of  softened Almond butter 

1/2 cup of  softened regular unsweetened butter

1/4 cup of sugar 

1 cup of flour 

1 tsp Almond extract 

3- 4 tsp of Almond milk 


Preheat the oven to 360 degrees Fahrenheit

Combine the Almond butter,regular butter and sugar. Blend them together until they are smooth and creamy. 

Add the oat meal and blend the mixture for about 30 seconds. 

Add the flour slowly, mixing with the blender. 

Add the Almond milk and Almond extract. 

Line the baking sheet with foil or you can use a cooking spray.

Drop the cookies using a teaspoon. I usually use two teaspoons and roll the dough in to a ball and drop them on to the baking sheet. 

Bake them at 360 degrees Fahrenheit for about 15-20 minutes.


Allow them to cool completely.

They last for about a week or so if refrigerated in an air tight container.



Three cheers to the moist, creamy, dreamy cookies and the awesome little guy who teaches me every single day to be thankful and proud of who I am. 






Linked to
themorethanoccasionalbaker and carolinemakes. at the Alpha bakes hosted by themorethanoccasionalbaker.