Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Raw Granola Bars with Almond Butter and Honey

Before the little guy entered my life, I used to believe in planning my whole day and everything going according to that plan.  Even the tiniest deviation from my master plan lead to a complete melt down. My parents, friends and even my lovely husband tried to reason with me. They all explained in vain that change is a part of life and I have to embrace it,cuddle it and accept it. All that advise went down the drain and didn't even scratch the surface of my stubborn made up brain.

Every one had pretty much given up trying to reason with me, and then God sent me the little guy. Everything changed in an instant, with no warnings or prior notifications. Nothing was ever the same anymore. Each day was an unique experience, any amount of planning would not have prepared me for the surprises the little guy sprung upon me. I stopped making lists. I stopped complaining about the change and finally I got it - the only thing that's constant in life is constant change.

speaking of change, couple of months back I tried to make some changes to my breakfast routine. I usually end up eating my breakfast much later in the day. I have the usual excuses of no time, need coffee to wake up so on and so forth. One day I decided to change that by making my very own version of a granola bar.It got in my head that eating a granola bar in the morning doesn't involve much planing and it will be sort of the grab and go breakfast.

Trying to convince your brain to make the change is half the job done. I had never made a granola bar before and after pouring through the wisdom of Google, realized it won't be that hard.



2 cups of quick oats

1 cup of granola - I used a honey almond kind.

1/2 cup of  local wildflower Honey - The local wildflower honey is supposed to alleviate the seasonal allergy symptoms. With the impending allergy season kicking it,  I decided to give it a try.

1/2 cup of almond butter

1/4 cup of almond milk

1/2 cup of  almonds.

1/2 cup of pistachios.

1/2 cup of sunflower seeds.

1/2 cup of peanuts.

1/2 cup of roasted pumpkin seeds.

1/2 cup of raisins and cranberries.



Add the oats, granola, nuts and dried fruits in a bowl.

Microwave the almond butter, almond milk and honey for 10 - 15 seconds.

Pour the butter and honey over the oat/granola mixture.

Mix the ingredients and spread them  in a deep dish layered with parchment paper or foil.

If the mixture is too dry, you can add more honey.

Refrigerate over night.

Cut them in to little bars and they are ready.

The granola bars were nutty with just the right amount of sweetness.  All the fiber and fat content of the nuts makes this granola bar nutritious and  filling.






























To be able to embrace change with a smile is a blessing. Over the years I have learned to welcome, embrace and experience the changes in my life, for they always add a little something to make my life better.

Linked to mizhelenscountrycottage.