Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Turmeric Smoothie

Appreciation. I often ignore people and the life I am blessed with and tend to be very unappreciative about them. I complain about a zillion things, yet I never pause and appreciate all the love and happiness around me. I take many things for granted without ever realizing their significance. The little guy came in to my life and suddenly I found this new found appreciation for mundane things like sleep, having a meal in peace, a moment of silence and life in general. I say a prayer every second just to reassure myself ,be thankful and appreciative of all the chaos and love in my life.



As with the real world, in the culinary world too there are certain ingredients that are sorely ignored and unappreciated by me. One among them is Turmeric. As a teenager I had lots of issues with acne and my mom used to make this mixture of turmeric and lemon and it did wonders for the acne. I believed the sole purpose of Turmeric was to clear my acne and may be add a yellow color to all the dishes my mom used to cook with Turmeric. Even after I started cooking, I never really cared for Turmeric, it stains everything yellow.




All that changed one day when I read an article on how curcumin - the pigment which gives Turmeric the distinct yellow color actually has the ability to combat cancer. A series of other studies followed discovering the benefits of Turmeric including its role as an antioxidant and its anti inflammatory effects. The studies have also suggested that raw form of the Turmeric is best to get the maximum benefit. Only then did it occur to me that my mom  used to give me milk with a tsp of raw turmeric when I had sore throat and how I used to detest that, never mind the fact that it actually helped get rid of the sore throat. That was me again being unappreciative of Turmeric.






Now that I am older and wiser I decided to include raw Turmeric in our diet in the form of a smoothie. Raw Turmeric has a strong smell and taste and you need to add other things to alleviate that boldness.


1 cup of Milk - I use 2% fat milk

1/2 cup of Greek Yogurt - I use the strawberry Greek Yogurt

1 tsp of cardamom

2 tsp of Honey

1/2 tsp of Turmeric

1 tsp of Chia seeds





Blend the ingredients together and the smoothie filled with all the goodness of Turmeric in its raw form is ready.

I drink this smoothie for breakfast - an awesome and appreciative start for my day.



Linked to  BandW Wednesday #128 at cindystarblog. and thewellseasonedcook.blogspot.

1 comment:

  1. Nice bird's-eye perspective of your smoothie, Sudha. Thanks for joining in BWW!

    ReplyDelete