Saturday, September 20, 2014

Spicy Fried Rice with Quinoa

Absolute silence. I am yet to experience it, for I always hear the noise of silence. Even when I am in a  so called silent space, I have busy thoughts in my mind, I hear the most mundane sounds which disrupt the silence I am trying to focus on and then I give up and experience the cheerful cacophony surrounding me.

The same cacophony can some times find its way in to a dish. There can be too many ingredients, too many spices and a lot going on in terms of flavor. These dishes are elaborate and I find them very therapeutic both in terms of making and devouring the dish. 

It was one of those days when I felt the need to cook something elaborate. I love quinoa and rice. I made a pudding once with Quinoa and Rice. This time around I wanted to try a fried rice with quinoa, lots of vegetables and spices. 




Main Ingredients 

1 cup of cooked rice - I cooked the rice with 1 cup of water and 1 cup of coconut milk.
Coconut milk adds a subtle creaminess to the rice which does wonders to it when mixed with all the spices.

1/2 cup of cooked quinoa - Cook the quinoa according to the directions on the package.


Vegetables

1 cup of peas

1 medium onion - finely chopped

1 yellow sqaush

1 cup of boiled potatoes


Spices 

3 cloves of garlic

1 green chili - finely chopped

1 tsp of grated ginger

1 tsp turmeric powder

1 tsp black pepper powder

1 tsp  cumin powder

1 tsp coriander powder

1 tsp red chili powder

1 tsp Green curry paste

salt



Heat the pan with 3 tsp of olive oil.

Add the turmeric, garlic, ginger, green chili and onions to the hot oil.

Let them roast for about 20-30 seconds.

Add the vegetables - peas, squash and the boiled potatoes.

Add the spices - green curry paste, cumin, coriander, black pepper,red chili powder and salt.

Let them cook for about 10 minutes.

Add the rice and quinoa to the cooked vegetable/spice mix and stir them all together.

Turn off the heat and cover the pan. Let it sit for 10 minutes.




The dish was bursting with flavors and well worth the time and effort.

Linked to Vegan Thursdays