Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Asparagus with Garlic and Soy Sauce

As much as I love to cook, there are days when the impetus to chop, cook and puree things is no where in sight. Take out is an option, but I can do better than that or so I believe. I search my kitchen desperately for ingredients that will magically turn in to delicacies in minutes. I poke through the forgotten nuke and corners of the refrigerator. It was one of those days and times when I discovered the bag of Asparagus. 



Over the years I have tortured the Asparagus in numerous ways to make it appealing to my palette. I roasted,sauteedand steamed the Asparagus. Yet there was something lacking. I keep buying Asparagus in hopes that one day I will have an epiphany and nail the recipe. 






Just when I was reminiscing the past of Asparagus, I had that epiphany - a recipe I thought was going to make me fall in love with Asparagus. It was so simple I wonder why I didn't think of it before. 







4 cloves of garlic- finely minced

Asparagus - a bunch (around 16 of them)

1 tsp red chili flakes

2 table spoons soy sauce

1 tsp black pepper

1 tsp dried Mint leaves

salt




Trim the bottom part of the Asparagus. The tip of the Asparagus is tender and tastes good. The hard part of the stalk adds nothing to the dish.

Chop the Asparagus in to small bite size pieces.

Heat a pan with a tsp of olive oil.

Once the oil is hot, add the garlic and red chili flakes.

Let them cook for a few seconds, and then add the soy sauce.

Let it cook for 10 seconds or so and then add the Asparagus.

Cover the pan and let it cook for 5 - 10 minutes.

Add the salt, black pepper and mint leaves and its done.






The garlic, soy sauce and the heat from red chili flakes and black pepper was divine and this is it for me and the Asparagus. We found our niche. I wonder why it took so long for me to figure this one out. I guess sometimes you have to feel low to get back up, exhilarate and triumph.