Friday, May 9, 2014

Avocado Rice


Combing certain ingredients brings out the best in them, while others just don't want to be bothered with the pairing process. What makes the two ingredients bring out the best in the dish? May be its not the ingredient, but our taste buds, our neuronal senses which decide what's tasty and what's trashy. 

Some people are allergic to peanuts, while some can slurp down raw peanuts with out a second thought. A lot of science and immune cells are involved in the whole process, yet to me it's amazing that the little guy can have sesame seeds by the bowl and a mere spoonful would choke me up. 

Sadly most of the times we do end up consuming the forbidden food before realizing it's adverse effects. Some times the forbidden ingredient is hidden in the midst of  others. Trying to fish it out can be a challenge. One such challenge I faced was with Mexican food. Every time I went to the Mexican restaurant I end up with severe abdominal cramps. I love the food and couldn't imagine what was in it making me sick.



It was sort of serendipitous that one day I left out the Avocado from the meal and surprisingly I didn't feel any cramps. The thought of me being allergic to Avocado was absolutely insane. Doing my little research on Avocado, I figured out  that it has laxative effects and probably was not too friendly on my guts causing the cramps.

I needed to test this theory out and decided to experiment on myself. I got two Avocados and mixed one with some eggs and devoured the whole thing. I spent the next 3 hours laying down on the floor of you can guess where. So there it was final proof - I am allergic to Avocado.

I love Avocado and had to find an alternative. I was staring at them trying to figure out a way that would alleviate the boldness. Perhaps cooking it would do some good, I thought. That's how this awesome Avocado rice was born.





Cooking the Avocado with coconut milk and some spices did the trick.This is one dish loaded with flavors and can be done in under 30 minutes.


1 ripe Avocado

1 cup of coconut milk

1 cup of cooked rice (Left over rice works great in this dish)

Instead of rice, we can also toss in some pasta. The Avocado-coconut milk with vegetables and pasta sounds and tastes amazing.



1 tsp cumin powder

1 tsp coriander powder

1 tsp chili powder

1tsp of chana dal 

2 tsps Green curry paste

1 tsp dried mint leaves

1 tsp dried Fenugreek leaves

4 cloves of garlic

1 tsp of minced ginger

salt


1 cup of peas

1 medium onion finely chopped




Scoop the Avocado and mix it with half cup of coconut milk and blend them together to a smooth paste.


Heat a pan with 3 tsp of olive oil.

Add the onions, garlic, ginger, chana dal and the spices including the green curry paste and let them cook for about 2 minutes. Adding chana dal to the seasoning brings in a nice soft bite to the dish.

Add the Avocado coconut mix and stir the ingredients together.

Let them cook for about a minute.

Add the remaining half cup of coconut milk, 3-4 tablespoons of water and salt.

Add the green peas and cover the pan. Let it cook for about 5 minutes.

Once the Avocado mix thickens add the cup of cooked rice.

Mix them together, turn off the heat and cover the pan.

Let it sit for another 10 minutes and awesome Avocado rice is ready.



I would have never thought of combining Avocado- coconut milk with rice, if not for my crazy cramps. There is always a silver lining in the midst of all the sorrow;we just have to be patient and creative enough to see the line.







Sending this to


Vegan Thursdays  at Priya's Versatile Recipes

Our growing edge event at bunnyeatsdesign hosted by kitcheninspirations. This event encourages food bloggers to come together and try out new recipes and ingredients.













Extra Veg hosted by  A2K at utterlyscrummy and fussfreeflavours