Thursday, May 15, 2014

Carrot Cup cakes with Coconut cream, Turmeric and Saffron Frosting

Growing up I was given a lot of advice on how to settle down in life. The most common advice was on the lines of choosing the perfect carrier, the perfect guy and I am set for the rest of my life. I grew up believing this. Little did I know that settling down was not my cup of tea. It took many years but I finally made my peace with it.

Life does not stop when we achieve certain things. That does not mean I wander around achieving mundane things. I believe no matter how old I am,  it is imperative to have dreams, goals and a perspective. It could be something as big as trying to find a cure for cancer or as small as spending 30 min in the gym. What ever it is, I desire, dream and work towards that constantly.

I once came across a sign " Dream Big". I have this sign in our home to remind us the importance of having big dreams.I dream big and I am not apologetic about it. when you have big dreams you don't settle down. You go on achieving, failing, getting up with hope in your heart and belief in yourself. Setting down is for the weak, I intend to keep going as far as my dreams take me.


I was in the mood for baking cupcakes and didn't want to settle down for the ordinary kind, wanted something extraordinary. That's when I had this epiphany of bringing together my two all time favorite ingredients saffron and turmeric in the frosting. 






Turmeric and saffron are two ingredients which are the epitomes of selflessness. They lend so much to the dish without overpowering other ingredients. That's precisely the reason I adore them so much.





















1/2 cup all purpose flour

1/2 cup almond flour - I never baked with almond flour before and was pleasantly surprised by its nutty flavor.

1 tsp baking powder

2 eggs

1 tsp chia seeds soaked in 3 tsps of water for 10 minutes

1 cup of grated carrots

1/2 cup of chopped walnuts

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup butter

1/4 cup milk


Pre heat the oven to 360 degrees Fahrenheit.

Mix the all purpose flour, almond flour and baking powder in a bowl.

In another bowl blend the butter and sugar until its smooth and creamy.

Add the eggs (at room temperature) one at a time while blending the mixture followed by the chia seeds. When the chia seeds are soaked in water they turn all gooey just like the egg.

Add the flour slowly while blending the mixture.

Add the milk to get the right consistency if the batter is too thick.

In the end fold in the grated carrots and walnuts.

Add the cake batter to a cup cake tin coated with olive oil or you can use butter.

Bake them for about 15- 20 minutes.

Let them cool completely before adding the frosting.






For the Frosting- 

I can of coconut milk refrigerated for about 4-5 hours

2 tablespoons of sugar

1 tsp of honey

1/2 tsp turmeric

about 2 pinches of saffron - a little goes a long way with saffron.


Scoop the solidified coconut cream in to a bowl.

Add the sugar, honey, turmeric and saffron and mix them together slowly.

The frosting at this point may be a little creamy. Add it on to the cup cakes and refrigerate for about an hour or so.

These cupcakes actually taste better after overnight refrigeration.



Yet again, I proved to myself the joys of dreaming big and not settling down for something ordinary. Each bite of the cupcake was dreamy with the frosting adding lots of  hope and joy to that dreaminess. 




 Sending this to cookinwluv.for the Made with love Mondays











The Biscuit Barrel Challenge  hosted by idmuchratherbakethan.