Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Finger millet flour Pancakes with Bananas

We all at some point try to procrastinate things. In my case it happens often. Most often the reason for procrastination stems from the fact that I don't particularly love the task at hand or I am jittery about the outcome. Time and again I have no choice but to eventually get my sorry self out and accomplish the task.

I realized that I go through a series of emotions ranging from sadness, guilt and eventually happiness once I accomplish the task. The alternative would be not to procrastinate and just finish the task and be happy. This way I could avoid the sadness and guilt. After all those years one would think I have learnt my lesson. Nope. I have to go through the series of emotions and I find no joy in just striking things off my list without putting them off for a while. I try to see a silver lining in all my idiosyncratic behaviors. In this case, I guess I cherish the feeling of taking my own sweet time in over coming my jitters. 



Just as with everything else in life, I find immense joy in procrastinating cooking with certain ingredients and eventually feel the joy of creating a scrumptious dish. There were some bananas sitting on the counter for days. Despite the little guy devouring them on a daily basis, they were dangerously getting close to being rotten. They were getting those brown spots and looking very pathetic. I stare at them every day and decide against trashing them. I make a mental note of baking something and move on with my life. 




These pancakes are the result of  a week long procrastination which finally ended with me finding a bag of finger millet or ragi flour in the pantry. This flour is rich in fiber, iron calcium and is also gluten free. 






1 ripe banana 

1/2 cup milk 

1 egg 

2 Tablespoons sugar 

1/2 cup of finger millet or Ragi Flour 


Mash the ripe banana  with a fork in a bowl. 

To this add the milk and egg and whisk it thoroughly.

Add the sugar and mix the ingredients together until its smooth and without any lumps. 

Add the finger millet flour and whisk until we get the right consistency. If the batter is too thick you can add a tsp of milk. 

Heat a pan with a tsp of olive oil and make the pancakes. 





The finger millet flour adds a very subtle nutty flavor and the mushy bananas add the sweetness and texture to these perfect pancakes. This is what I call the joy of procrastination.


Linking this to Made with love Mondays at cookinwluv.blogspot.com










No waste food challenge hosted by farmersgirl at elizabethskitchendiary