Thursday, May 1, 2014

Quinoa/oat/Chia seed Flour Pancakes with Berries and Apples

We teach our kids discipline, the good and bad. What is equally important is to make them aware of good eating habits. As a child I was a very picky eater, hardly ever touched a fruit without it being shoved down my throat. After years of abusing my body with all the junk, I eventually realized I need to treat my body with respect and be more cognizant of what I am feeding it. 

With the little guy however, I was not going to waste any time. I introduced him to all kinds of fruits and vegetables when he was six months old. I taught him why it is important to eat healthy and our body should not be regarded as a dumpster for all the junk that is available out there. 

He did raise a very profound question. Why do people sell junk food? why is it available for us to eat if its not good for us? I had to think long and hard to answer this question. I explained to him how life offers you a plethora of choices and it’s really up to you to make the right choice. I also talked to him about moderation. It is OK to indulge once in a while in a bag of chips or those so called fruit snacks loaded with weird colors like Red 40, Blue 70 or something. 

We also cook together and I worked hard to break the notion, that if something is healthy it probably doesn't taste good. Cooking together made him actually touch, feel and visualize the ingredients that go in to a dish. 

He is still skeptical about certain ingredients and we try to come up with something that we both agree on. Like these pancakes. He loves pancakes and is not a huge fan of oats or quinoa or any other whole grain. I came up with these quinoa, oat and chia seed flour pancakes for breakfast. He does realize breakfast is an important meal of the day and it is imperative to eat something healthy during the morning rush. He agreed to give them a try and I worked on making them delectable


Dry roast -

1 cup of Quinoa

1 cup of oats

1/2 cup of chia seeds


Roast them on low heat for about 3-4 minutes.

Let them cool and blend them in a food processor.

We end up with a fine ground flour filled with the goodness of quinoa, oats and chia seeds.





For a Berry pancake

1 cup of the quinoa, oat chia seed flour

1 egg

1/2 cup of milk

1/2 cup of berries - I used frozen berries. I microwaved them for about 40 seconds.

1/4 cup of honey

1 tsp of cardamom


Mix the ingredients together.

Add more milk if the batter is thick.

Heat a pan with 1 tsp of olive oil and make the pancakes.





For an Apple pancake-

1 apple

1 cup of quinoa, oat chia seed flour

1/2 cup of milk

1 tsp of vanilla extract

1/4 cup of honey

1 egg


cut the apple in to pieces with the peel on and grind it in a food processor.

Mix the apple puree with the flour, eggs and milk.

If the batter is too thick add more milk.

Add in the honey, vanilla extracts and blend them together.


Heat a tsp of olive oil and make the pancakes.



The pancakes are little softer than the regular ones, but the nutty flavors of quinoa/chia seeds mingles with the berries and apples and is well complemented by the sweetness of honey. 

They can also be served with Greek yogurt or drizzle more honey on top of them. 


The little guy tried them with a little bit of trepidation, but he fell for all the flavors and goodness of the grains and the pancakes successfully made their place in our home and our hearts.

sending to Black and White Wednesday  at   thewellseasonedcook hosted by cindystarblog.