Monday, June 23, 2014

Almond Meal French Toast

We spend a lot of time, effort and energy trying to please the folks around us. It could be family, friends or the society in general. It’s not necessarily a bad thing. After all if you have the ability to bring a smile on someone’s face, why not go the extra mile and do whatever it takes. Over the years as a mother I realized that I only focus on giving and making the little one happy. One day I realized, what if I end up giving so much that I have nothing more left in me to give. Mothers are after all human, a basic fact which motherhood tries to overshadow. We may have carried a life inside of us once, but at the end of the day we are human. Is it OK if I hold on to bits and pieces of myself and not share them with anyone. 





The whole process of pleasing extends to the kitchen. I seldom cook a dish that I am the only one in the family who enjoys it. It seems like a bother to cook just for myself. 



Growing up French toast was my absolute favorite breakfast. It was not something I had every day. My mom used to make them occasionally and I used to look forward to those occasional morning indulgences. My little guy could care less for a French toast and I never make it. I had bought two loaves of bread because they were on sale and after a ton of peanut butter jelly sandwiches ran out of ideas. With all the new found knowledge of giving some time to me, I decided to make a French toast just for myself. Why not indulge in something  I enjoy. 





I had some almond meal and decided to coat my French toast with this extra layer of crunch. The Almond meal adds a subtle nutty flavor to the French toast which I absolutely love. 

Almond meal French toast - 1 serving 

1 egg 
1 Tablespoon Almond meal 
1 Tablespoon Milk 
1/2 tsp Vanilla essence 
1 tsp sugar 
1 tsp honey 
1 tsp cardamom powder
 2 slices of whole wheat bread

Whisk the ingredients together in a bowl. 

Heat a pan with  a tsp of olive oil. 

Dip the bread slices on both sides in the egg/almond meal mixture and fry them until they are golden brown on each side. 

Don't soak the bread in the mixture, that will make them soggy and they tend to fall apart when you fry them. 






The French toast takes me back in time, back when I was a kid devouring the toast while reading my favorite comic book. Fast forward to now, I devoured my French toast watching the little guy reading his favorite comic book and eating his favorite breakfast of what else the pancakes. 

I realized that, taking a bit of time to do something I enjoy is not a luxury, its a necessity. Its necessary so I never stop bringing joy to the loved ones in my life.



Linked to utterlyscrummy. and elizabethskitchendiary. at the No waste Food Challenge