Friday, June 27, 2014

Finger Millet Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies

As good as the phrase “Never Give Up" sounds, there were times when I left like I wanted to give up. Life has a funny way of teaching you to believe in yourself. It throws endless obstacles and disappointments, which make you question over and over if it’s worth taking all the trouble and wouldn't it be just easier to give up. I feel it’s OK to harbor this feeling but don't ever give in to it. Yes, I felt like giving up would be a much easier option than putting myself through endless misery with the so called light at the end of the tunnel nowhere in sight. Sometimes all it takes is one more chance, one more try, one stroke of good luck and you will get there. The hardest part is to keep going and not dwell in the misery of failures. 





I was determined to make a chocolate chip cookie that was healthy. A cookie loaded with chocolate and yet high on the list of nutritious wholesome food and here is the catch it has to be loved and devoured by the little guy. I tried and tired and every time the little guy rejected them. At some point he even said - Mama you should stick with your experiments in the lab, please make normal chocolate chip cookies. There I was all ready to give up, maybe I can’t get this to work and I did give up for a while, until I had a little epiphany from my childhood. Finger millet flour or as it is called Ragi was usually used to make pancakes, but once I remember my mom making some sort of cookies with them. I decided to try my luck one last time chocolate, finger millet flour and Almond meal. 






1 1/4 cup of Finger Millet flour 

1/2 cup of Almond Meal 

2 tsp chia seeds soaked in 6 tsp of water for 5 - 10 minutes - used as a egg substitute 

1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips melted in the microwave with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil

1 tsp cardamom 

1 tsp vanilla 

1 tsp baking powder 

1 cup of coconut oil 

1/4 cup of sugar 


Preheat the oven to 365 degrees Fahrenheit 

Mix the finger millet flour, almond meal, baking powder, cardamom and sugar together in a bowl. 

Add the chia seeds and melted chocolate chips and mix them together with a whisk. 

Add in the cup of coconut oil, vanilla and the whole thing will together like chocolate dough. 

Line a baking sheet with foil paper and drop the cookies on to the baking sheet and slightly press them with a fork, so they flatten a bit. 

Bake them for 12 - 15 minutes. 

The cookies will still be a bit soft when we take them out of the oven. 

Let them cool completely and they will harden. 

Don't bake for more than 15 minutes; they tend to become too hard once they cool down. 






After several rejections, I finally heard the words that were music to my years - “Mama I do like them". Proved yet again never give up - Ever. 

Linked to Kid friendly dishes at  cooksjoy.