Thursday, August 28, 2014

Kale Chocolate Chip Pancakes


We all take so much for granted in life. The life we live, the people in our lives, our little routines and so much more. Sometimes all it takes is  for one little thing to go off on a tangent and in some sort of a domino effect the things that we take for granted will crumble. Precisely that's when we realize how lucky we are and how grateful we should be for all our little blessings in disguise. 

It was one of those quiet mornings, where I got to enjoy my cup of coffee in solitude,pondering over these mundane thoughts. I looked at the little guy sleeping on top of Mr. Bear. He looked so peaceful and content. I sent a little prayer up there, for he should always be peaceful, content and happy in life and that is something he should be able to take for granted. I hope the sound of my prayer broke the serine morning silence and whoever is up there listened to it and granted that little blessing for my little one. 

On a lighter note, I wanted to make something fun for breakfast. Pancakes are always a top choice for the little guy. However, I wanted to add something totally crazy to the pancakes for we can't always take them for granted can we?




I settled on kale and chocolate chips. The little guy made a face when he heard of it. But the final outcome erased any doubts he had about my serendipitous culinary instincts. 








Makes 4-5 Small Pancakes 

1/3 cup of  Whole White Wheat flour 

1/4 cup of oats 

1 cup of finely chopped kale 

1/4 cup of chocolate chips 

2 tablespoons sugar 

1 tsp Baking powder 

1/2 cup of  2% Milk 


Mix all the dry ingredients -white wheat flour, baking powder, sugar, oats, kale and chocolate chips in a bowl.

Add the milk slowly, while whisking the dry ingredients together.

Whisk the pancake batter thoroughly, so there are no lumps.

Make the pancakes. I used a griddle and about a tsp of olive oil. 





The oats and kale add an extra layer of flavor and nutrition. The chocolate chips make them appealing to the little guy. Throwing in a few surprise ingredients now and then is what makes cooking fun.

Linked to fussfreeflavours/utterlyscrummy/.elizabethskitchendiary atextra-veg