Monday, September 22, 2014

Chocolate cake with Quinoa flour and Olive oil

When the little guy was born, I was deprived of a lot of things, including sleep. After spending three weeks with little to no sleep, I was on the verge of losing it all. That's when the man who is the invisible pillar of strength in my life shows up  with a book in his hand. It was a book I meant to read before the little one was born - "The interpreter of Maladies" by Jhumpa Lahari. I take one look at the book and decide just like motherhood, fatherhood has made him crazy. Where in the world would I find the strength to read a book through diaper changes and sleepless nights.

That night, rather reluctantly I opened the book. I read through the diaper changes, the midnight feeds, the crying and all the way in to the morning. For the first time in weeks, I felt happy and lucid.





There is something magical about books and the smell of dusty old pages. They open the doors  to an amazing world filled with characters I admire, stories I desire and fantasies I envy. They make me pause and experience the essence of unspoken emotions floating around the sentences. Reflect on the subtle mysteries lurking beneath the words scattered across the pages. 









The other day we woke up to the silence of  rain drops.  The little guy declared it was a perfect day to cuddle up in a corner with a good book and warm chocolate cake.


I tried something different with this chocolate cake. I used quinoa flour and a double boiler to melt the chocolate chips with olive oil and absolutely no butter.




  • 1/2 cup of Quinoa flour - I used red quinoa. Dry roast the quinoa on low heat for about 1- 2 minutes. Let it cool and blend the roasted quinoa to a fine powder. 



  • 1/2 cup of organic white flour 



  • 1 tsp of baking powder 



  • 1/2 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips + 1/2 cup of olive oil. 



  • Melt the chocolate chips and olive oil on a double boiler. 

 Boil a small pot of water, when the water comes to a boil turn off the heat and place the bowl of chocolate chips and olive oil on top of the boiling water. Keep stirring with a fork to melt the chocolate. The chips will melt in about 2 minutes or so. 


  • 1 Tablespoon sugar and 1 egg. 

           Beat the egg along with the sugar.


  • 2 Tablespoons milk 




  • Frosting - 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and 2 Tablespoons of olive oil. 
Melt the chocolates chips on the double boiler. since we are using less olive oil, the melted chocolate chips will be thicker and can be poured over the baked cake once it cools down. 



Pre heat the oven to 370 degrees Fahrenheit.

Mix the dry ingredients - 1/2 cup Quinoa flour+ 1/2 cup organic white flour and baking powder.

To this add the egg beaten with the sugar.

Add the 1/2 cup of  chocolate chips melted in 1/2 cup of olive oil.

Add the 2 Tablespoons of milk and blend the ingredients together.

Optional- we sprinkled another 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips in the batter.

Grease a 8 inch cake tin with olive oil.

Pour the batter and bake for 12 -15 minutes. 

Once the cake is cooled, add the 1/4 cup of chocolate chips melted in 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil.




The cake has a subtle nutty flavor of quinoa, which is complemented flawlessly by  olive oil and the chocolate  brings it all together. Books never fail to bring that little spark of joy in my life, Just like chocolate never fails to fill my heart with joy. They make me reach for the sky, even if its just in my thoughts- They make me happy. 


                        End of the day, we read our books, had our cake and must say life is good.



Linked to black-white-wednesday at cindystarblog