Friday, September 26, 2014

Oat meal with Chia seeds, Berries and Honey


I wonder how and when the concept of time evolved.We are entwined around the invisible boundaries dictated by time and let them influence our lives in ways we would never have imagined. The concept of time brings in to our lives the baggage of past, the anxiety of future and the restlessness of the present. We seem to be constantly racing it.


When I was young, I used to wake up to the cacophonous chirping of the birds and reflect on my bizarre dreams. Now-a-days, I wake up to the rather annoying tone of my alarm and stare at the clock. Five more minutes won't kill the day I would presume, only to realize the five minutes stretched on to ten and its all going down hill now. Thus, starts the race against time. Rushing through breakfast, school, traffic, work, driving back from work, making it on time to the umpteen after school activities, making dinner and finally dragging my sorry self to bed on time. 

This chaotic chase against time, made me wonder what would it be like to  cherish the time rather than chase it. There has to be a way for me to sit and cherish the morning silence.

The next day, I woke up and instead of staring at the clock, I peeked out side. I saw the most beautiful sunrise and wondered how insane I must be to neglect this. Instead of feeling the morning rush, I felt the morning sun. 



In an effort to alleviate the morning rush, I came up with this oat meal chia seed treat. The whole thing can be made the night before and the oats, chia seeds /fruit will soak in the silence of night and greet you with a chirpy, creamy delight in the morning.



The previous night :

Mix 1/3 cup of quick oats 

2 tsps of chia seeds 

1 cup of frozen berries 

1 cup of  2% Milk 

Cover and refrigerate overnight. 

The next morning add few tsps of milk and Microwave for 30 seconds  or so. 

Drizzle some raw honey on top and its ready. 




The promise of the morning sun brings in hope and happiness. Why not celebrate that promise with a hearty healthy breakfast.