Friday, January 2, 2015

Prunes, Oatmeal and Almond Butter


When I was young, New Years Eve was the time I got to stay up until midnight, and a day off from school. I could not perceive it as the beginning of something new, seldom made the so called new year resolutions and never had any profound thoughts about it. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that I love to carry the baggage of past with me, albeit within limits. I don't believe in starting off on a clean slate in the new year. I look  at it as writing something new on the  old slate with the past hidden underneath it.



The little guy and I were making a puzzle with 300 pieces. All those 300 pieces by themselves made no sense at all. At one point it was almost impossible to understand the big picture. But for the big picture to happen, we can't erase any of the pieces.

Good or bad, we don't have to shy away from it. Its all in the perspective, the perspective changes depending on what you choose to focus on. Instead of focusing on forgetting the past, planning the future, I try to focus on life - the big picture. All those past years are part of my life and if I had to go back in time, I wouldn't wipe off anything off the slate. 

That's my two cents worth of New Year wisdom.

There are some ingredients which by themselves are rather sorry looking and lend very little to the taste buds. However, just like the 300 puzzle pieces these ingredients when combined in the right way will come together creating a rather sweet, delectable picture. 

Prunes and oatmeal. The little one runs away from the mere mention of those ingredients. In an attempt to create something hassle free, I combined Almond butter, honey, prunes and oatmeal in to tiny balls.

They may not be visually appealing, but taste great and make really fun easy breakfast bites. They can be made ahead of time and refrigerated for up to 3 days.


1 cup of lightly toasted oat meal - I used the steel cut oatmeal

1 cup of finely chopped dried prunes 

1/2 cup of Almond butter 

1 Tablespoon honey - I used the raw honey


Add the Almond butter and honey in a bowl and whisk them together.

Lightly toast the oatmeal on low heat.

Chop the prunes in to tiny pieces.

Add the prunes and the warm oat meal to almond butter/honey.

Make tiny balls with your hands. 

Refrigerate them. 


The prunes, oatmeal and the almond butter are like the  little pieces coming together to make a big picture, while  the little imperfections are beautifully hidden by the sweetness of honey.

Three cheers to  new perspectives, new year and new tastes!