Saturday, February 14, 2015

Coconut Milk Chocolate Mousse


The whole buzz around the V-day got me thinking. When does love really happen? It may happen at first sight, but the only love worth celebrating is the one which holds on to that first sight despite many sour sights. It happens when the "I" takes the place of "We", when my dream becomes our dream, when you think of making up in the middle of a nasty fight and when you eat chocolate. 

Regardless of the science behind pheromones and chocolates, they scream love to me. I have come across several recipes for a chocolate mousse with coconut milk. Thought the V-day was a perfect time to venture on this sweet culinary adventure. 




I had no coco powder in the pantry, so substituted with a caramel hot chocolate mix and it turned out finger licking awesome.


One  14 oz can of  frozen coconut milk. 
The key here is to use frozen coconut milk (not the lite one, go ahead indulge yourself, you won't regret it)

Freeze the can in the refrigerator overnight or in the freezer for about an hour. The cream will thicken on the top and that is all we need for the mousse. Store the water that settles in the bottom for some soup or sauce. 

One 1oz pack of hot chocolate mix - I used the caramel  flavor, any flavor would work I guess. If not, use coco powder about 1/4 cup. 



Transfer the frozen coconut cream on top, without any liquid in to a bowl. 

Using a hand blender, blend the cream for about a minute. 

Add the chocolate mix, fold it in to the cream and blend for another minute or two. 

Transfer the mousse to a bowl and refrigerate for an hour - The mousse tastes better after refrigeration. 

We ate our mousse with chopped walnuts and a drizzle of raw honey on top.

You can serve this with fresh or frozen berries.



The little guy once said, he loves me despite my flaws. I have to admit I do have quite a bit of them - the flaws. Never was and never will be perfect. 

This coconut milk chocolate mousse was a perfect way to celebrate the unconditional love in my life. Regardless of what you think of this red and pink holiday, always hug your loved ones and eat some chocolate.