Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Green chilies and Fennel seed Omelete

Fear I believe is an elusive emotion. The fear of unknown is  so intangible yet has the power of crushing ones spirit indefinitely. I have succumbed to this fear countless number of times. Being bold, taking a risk and venturing in to an unknown territory were all forbidden in my little world. 

Along came the little guy and I found myself teaching him “Don’t let fear overtake you" and was personally avoiding all sorts of things because of my own irrational fear. 

There comes a point in parenthood when you have to actually walk the talk. So, I tried.



I tried in my own naive way to be bold and take risks. It felt exhilerating to let go of that rigidness, that unknown fear and be free. 

To celebrate my new found act of boldness, I made an omelet with bold flavors. Green chilies and fennel seeds with a dash of black pepper make a bold statement with their spicy, smoky flavors.


2 eggs 
1 green chili - split in 2 halves 
1/4 tsp of fennel seeds 
1/4 tsp of fresh ground black pepper 
salt 
olive oil



Heat a pan with 2 tsp of olive oil.

when the oil is hot add the green chilies and  fennel seeds.

Let them toast for couple of seconds, you should be able to smell the smoky flavor of the chilies and fennel seeds. 

Beat two eggs in a bowl thoroughly, and add to the pan when the green chilies and fennel seeds are toasted.

Mix the egg mixture, chilies and fennel seeds. Sprinkle some salt and pepper.

Reduce the heat and close the pan for 30 seconds. 

Open the lid and fold the omelette in to half and flip it over. 

Let it cook for a few seconds until the omelet is nice and toasty on the outside and fluffy on the inside. 

If the green chilies are too spicy for your palette- you can add green bell peppers. The key is to make sure the chilies/peppers and fennel seeds are nicely toasted before adding the eggs. 




The little guy as always has taught me an important life lesson - never fear the unknown. You never known what sort of surprises are lurking underneath the veil of fear that we all insist of wearing. Take out the veil and have a bold look at the world out there. While you are at it, try a chili or two with some fennel seeds.



Linked to .belleaukitchen. at eggcellent-